PiYo is a low-impact, high-intensity body transformation workout program. As the name implies it uses the most effective Pilates and Yoga inspired moves and is set to a fast pace. This helps you burn fat while sculpting long lean muscles.With this program you will carve every muscle in your body without jumps, without weights, and without straining your joints. Rest assured there is no complex choreography. Chalene Johnson takes you through the moves in a step by step way. Here in PiYo you will use your body weight to lose weight and work your muscles to get defined! With PiYo you will get your strength, cardio, as well as the flexibility you want all in one program.
History of Piyo
Chalene Johnson, who invented the PiYo system changed the fitness world by creating exciting workouts that would burn calories and scorch fat and she has created at home programs like TurboFire, TurboJam, and the ChaLEAN Extreme. Piyo is a workout class she would teach live and has now been produced so you can get the benefits of the program daily in your home. Chalene originally created the program as she wanted amazing results that would not destroy anyone’s body. While she loved the benefits of Pilates and Yoga, she just found that Yoga could be boring and Pilates would be a bit repetitive and she wanted to get the benefits of both, while burning lots of calories. Now you will get the benefits of both with an extreme caloric burn.
Why is Piyo successful?
PiYo will deliver you the muscle chiseling, benefits to your core of Pilates as well as the flexibility of yoga. PiYo’s low impact compound exercise activities utilize various groups of muscle at one time while keeping your body in motion. As you advance starting with one move then onto the next without any rest, you will keep up an ideal heart rate to burn calories all through the entire workout!
The result? You get a high power, low impact, full body workout. This provides you a physical make-up that is lean, long, and defined.
How can PiYo Benefit you?
- To lose weight – PiYo’s high intensity exercises engage multiple muscles at once while keeping them in constant motion. Your heart rate remains in the best range to burn calories throughout the entire workout. This is a perfect combination to melt those pounds away.
- To build lean muscle without bulk – With your body weight being used as the primary source of resistance you will sculpt long lean muscles
- Beginners – With no complicated choreography you can follow the moves to build your stamina. There are also modifiers to make it easier.
- Runners – With this being a low impact exercise program it is a perfect companion, or cross-fit exercise program to compliment running.
- Pilates & Yoga Lovers – You get the strength of Pilates and the flexibility of Yoga while burning more calories than either.
- Piyo for Men – I am a guy and I like PiYo, it is a great program for men to help melt the pounds and compliment other exercise.
- Bodybuilders – Most men and Bodybuilders are not flexible. This program gives you the flexibility you need and keep you interested in ways Yoga would not.
The Base kit of Piyo includes 9 workouts on 3 DVD’s, and you can get a bonus DVD when you purchase through this site called Hardcore on the Floor.
- PiYo Align: The Fundementals (40 minutes)
- When starting any new workout program there seems to be this period where you are looking up at the moves on the screen and trying to learn the process and getting a smaller workout. One of the benefits of this PiYo set is the Align: The Fundamentals program. This video walks you through the moves that you will be doing when you workout in the PiYo program. You will get to understand the moves and why Chalene has you do them. This will help you to execute them when you watch the rest of the program. It will also show you modifications that make the moves easier if you find some of the moves too hard for you to do.
- PiYo Define: Lower Body (25 minutes)
- This is a short program that is a great workout with a focus on defining you lower body and works out your calves, gluts, hamstrings and quads. This program will help to give you the lean and toned legs your looking for. It is a nice quick workout you can do.
- PiYo Define: Upper Body (35 minutes)
- This workout is a little longer than the lower body one, but it will help to give you a toned upper body and will work on your chest, arms, shoulders and more.
- PiYo Sweat(35 minutes)
- This is the first program you will experience that will make you really sweat. It includes dynamic fast paced workouts designed to sculpt your body and make you scorch those calories so you can melt away the pounds.
- PiYo Core (30 minutes)
- This workout will work your abs from every angle. It will help you build a strong core and a sexy back as it will work out your upper and lower abs, your obliques, and your lower back.
- PiYo Buns (25 minutes)
- Who doesn’t want a sexy butt? This program focuses on your glutes which will help give you the tight and round butt you want.
- PiYo Strength Intervals (25 minutes)
- No weights & No Equipment and will not bulk you up, what you do get is a great workout that alternates between body weight resistant workouts and heart rate elevating movements. This will give you long lean muscles and is really a must do.
- PiYo Drench (45 minutes)
- When sweating isn’t enough, sometimes you want to get drenched. This workout will give you the workout that will kick start your metabolism. This endurance workout works every muscle in your body and get your heart racing. It will help your improve you muscle endurance as well as improving you flexibility and help give you great balance.
- Piyo Sculpt (30 minutes)
- A key workout that keeps you muscles under tension and builds muscular endurance. It will help you sculpt and transform your body.
- PiYo Hardcore on the Floor (30 minutes)
- Another workout that focuses on your whole body and uses your body weight to sculpt it without leaving your mat.
The Piyo Deluxe Kit also includes the following additional workouts.
- Full Body Blast (30 Minutes)
- You use the Strength Slides by Beachbody to get your metabolism into overdrive.
- Strong Legs (30 Minutes)
- Another workout that uses the Strength Slides by Beachbody to work every muscle below your waist for strong lean and defined legs.
What type of Equipment is needed?
One of the benefits of PiYo is that you don’t need a lot of equipment. Here is a list if the pieces you will need as well as other optional equipment.
- Yoga Mat – Even if you are on a carpet it is nice to have a good yoga mat.
- Water Bottle – You will sweat, so have a water bottle on hand is a must.
- Yoga Blocks – If your not flexible this is optional.
- A Chair – If you don’t have the best balance you can keep a chair on hand to help keep you up.
Included in the DVD set is a workout schedule that has you working out 6 days a week including weekends. The schedule changes up the routine to help you stay motivated. This helps it to feel fresh so you don’t burn out.
PiYo Price and Options
You have multiple options when buying Piyo. The first is to buy only the DVD set which is $59.85. You also have the option of stepping it up and trying Shakeology at the same time and purchasing a challenge kit. This will help you melt away those pounds with the proper nutrition. Here are the different options when buying Piyo.
Piyo Base Kit
The Piyo base kit is a good way to start out. For $59.85 you get the 8 main workouts plus 4 free gifts for purchasing. You get the Get Lean Eating Plan, the Buns Workout, a Tape Measure, and 24/7 online support. Buying also gives you a free Bonus – the Hardcore on the Floor DVD.
Piyo Strength – The Deluxe Kit
With the Piyo Deluxe Kit you will get everything in the base kit as well as Accelerated Calendar, Strength Slides by Beachbody, and the two additional workouts; Full Body Blast and Strong Legs. If you purchased the Poyo Base kit, you can still get the features of the Deluxe Kit by buying a upgrade here or if you have Strength Slides you can always buy the video’s alone by clicking the link here.
My Piyo Review
As a runner, I was interested in PiYo as it is a low impact program that would not tire my legs out and would help me get an extra burn. I have done Yoga and it really wasn’t for me, and like Chalene I found it to be very boring. I have done Pilates in the past and really liked that but the schedule at my gym didn’t make a reality for me to take the classes with my hectic schedule. PiYo sounded great on paper, a workout with the benefits of Yoga without the bore and the sculpting of Pilates. I find that PiYo lives up to that and more. It is a great system to burn calories, and with the proper diet, will help you melt away the pounds. Now, like any workout, I believe if you don’t eat right you will not see the benefits of the workout in your body. So I have paired my PiYo workout with Shakeology and running to get my body long and lean.