In any sport there is a mental component and it can account for success or failure when it comes to your goals and this is especially true with running. You have to have confidence in your abilities and a drive to succeed. This does not mean not listening to your body. Mentally you need to decide when you have more in the tank so you can give it your all. To get past any wall you set for yourself try these tricks.
Mental Running Tricks
- Set a Goal – Setting a pacing goal per mile. You can do this with a finish time involved or just a number that you don’t want to go over or under.
- Listen to your body – See if you feel that you can go faster without burning out. If you feel like the first half your goals were too easy you can run faster to the point you’re comfortable.
- Break up the race – Have 3 miles left? I break the race down into miles and end up thinking how many more minutes I need to run. I push myself thinking I can run for 10 more minutes, etc.
- Bring yourself up – Think about how good you look. How fast you are. Think about how strong you are. Remember, there are many people that cannot do this, you are amazing!
- Fueling – When you take the water, sports drink, or fuel on the race imagine how it is fueling you and how you’re better because of it.
What do you do to prepare for the mental side of your workout?